Dandelion RetreatLochiel SA 5510, Australia
About this listing
Make yourself at home and we hope you enjoy your stay!
You are staying in the town of Lochiel, a small town with a population of 113 people, located 125 km north of Adelaide. The town lies directly beside the western edge of Lake Bumbunga. Our tiny house is located opposite of the lake.
Lake Bumbunga (the pink lake) is 15 square kilometres in size and a dramatic departure from the surrounding landscape due to its seasonal pink colouration and wide expanse. It is always changing colours depending on the seasons, water level, sunlight etc. Salt has been mined from Lake Bumbunga almost continuously since 1881.
Scientists have determined that pink bodies of water contain both Halobacteria and a type of algae known as Dunaliella salina, which thrive in very salty environments. The carotenoidred pigments secreted by these organisms are responsible for creating the pink lake’s colour.
In 1972 a local man and his friends created a sculpture of rubber tyres and plastic in the shallows of Lake Bumbunga 2.4 km north of the town. They named it "Loch Eel" – a tongue-in-cheek allusion to the Loch Ness Monster.
Our tiny house is a lovely studio space of 155 sqft. It offers guests a comfortable stay with its well-equipped kitchenette, complete with a queen sized bed, ensuite bathroom, air-conditioning and heating. Perfect for 2 persons!
The kitchenette has everything you need to cook your light meals with. A portable cooker, cookware, cooking utensils, cutlery, dishes & silverware, microwave and even a mini fridge. The portable cooker can be kept in the drawers when not in use to maximise space.
Our bathroom facilities follow ecologically sustainable principles, including a waterless eco-friendly compost toilet, hand basin and shower (gas heated for hot showers). In Australia's severe climatic challenge of bush fires and drought, we help to save the environment by conserving water using an eco-friendly toilet. Wastes are broken down in the compost toilet via an aerobic decomposition process. It is a waterless system (no need to flush!), whereas a standard dual flush toilet would use up to 350L of water per week. An aeration fan helps in the decomposition process and minimises odours.
If you're using your own soap, shampoo, tooth paste, we ask that you bring biodegradable ones so that the grey water runoff does not harm the environment. Thank you!
Guests will have access to the tiny house and its surroundings.
Other things to note
– Please lock the door at night for your own safety.
– Please be careful and look BOTH WAYS when crossing the road – it is a main highway and large trucks travelling at 80 km/hr use it frequently!
– If you go out to the lake, please note the salt crust lies atop a mud base which can be slippery and deeper in places. Waterproof shoes/boots are highly recommended.
– NO SMOKING inside the house.
– IMPORTANT! To preserve the integrity of the bio-system, please do not put anything un-organic e.g. sanitary products into the toilet.
– PLEASE consider future guests and leave the house in a tidy state.
– PLEASE report any accidental breakages or missing items.
– We have an outdoor firepit but this is not useable during fire season (15 November to 30 April)
– There is good mobile reception available depending on the network
Things To Do (daytime touring) :
– It is a 35 minute (45km) drive to the wonderful food and wine region of Clare
– It is a 40 minute (54km) drive to the wonderful coastal scenery of Wallaroo and Moonta Bay
– Private charter – an 8seater Mercedes Benz can be arranged for $795 (8 hrs)
Things To Do (morning and evening) :
The photos that can be taken around the pink lake early in the morning and at sunset are spectacular. Create your own unique sensational image for posting on your social media!
Relax with a book and listen to music.
Local supplies and food options:
The Jitter Bean Oasis Café in Lochiel, which is immediately next door to the tiny house is your best suggestion. Why not order something during the day and reheat for an easy evening meal. They have items such as pies, frittatas, lasagne and curries. Usual opening hours are 7:00am to 4:00pm Wednesday to Sunday but check for updates on their door.
BBQ Facility – There is a BBQ facility located behind the Lochiel Hall off Roberts St a short walk away where you can cook your own BBQ meal. Public toilets are located nearby.
Restaurants – For upmarket lunch and dinner options we suggest a 35 minute (45km) drive to the wonderful wine and food region around Clare, where there are many options to choose from.
• Snowtown, a 13 minute (19km) drive north has an IGA supermarket. Opening hours are usually 8:30am-5:30pm weekdays, 9:00am-1:00pm Saturday, 11:00am-1:00pm Sunday.
• Port Wakefield is a 20 minute (32km) drive south where there is a well-known bakery and the petrol stations also have basic supplies.
• Kadina, a 33 minute (46km) drive West is the largest town in the area with a variety of food outlets and supermarkets.
- Guests: 2
- Bedrooms: 1
- Beds: 1
- Bathrooms: 1
- Check-in After: 3:00 PM
- Check-out Before: 10:00 AM
- Type: Entire Place / Tiny House
- Nightly: AUD$179
- Weekends (Fri & Sat): AUD$199
- Weekly (7d+): AUD$152
- Monthly (30d+): AUD$143
- Additional guests: AUD$20
- Allow additional guests: No
- Cleaning fee: AUD$80
- Minimum number of days: 1
- Maximum number of days: 365
- Air conditioning
- Bed linens
- Cleaning Disinfection
- Dishes and silverware
- Enhanced cleaning practices
- Fire extinguisher
- First aid kit
- Free parking on premises
- Hair dryer
- High touch surfaces disinfected
- Hot water
- Long term stays allowed
- Private entrance
- Single level home
- Smoke detector
- Towels provided
- Pets allowed: No
- Children allowed: No
- Mobile reception: Yes
- Outdoor fire pit: Yes
- Firewood provided free: No
- How isolated is the tiny house?
- There is no main house.
Terms & rules
- Smoking allowed: No
- Party allowed: No
- Cancellation Policy
- Free cancellation for 48 hours after booking, up to 5 days before check-in.
- The minimum stay is 1 night
- The maximum stay is 365 nights
Hosted by Tiny Away
- English, Chinese
- Profile Status
- Host rating
- Sort By: